Firstly I must mention that although it is more than welcome, I am disappointingly not receiving any payment or incentive to sponsor or promote the following apps. I have found them extremely useful during my travels, and am simple grateful for their existence; they will forever live in my smartphone.
- This is my favorite app of all time, (angry birds excluded) Triposo an excellent offline map app that will make your life 1000 times easier. You simply download the city you wish to travel when wifi is available, then take off exploring from there. You can pinpoint locations such as your hostel, bus stop, favorite cafe etc. The app also includes attractions, restaurants, banks, metro stops and much more all clearly marked on the map. It can show you where you are and follow you with a satellite so you never get lost. This app has saved us from getting ripped off from Taxi drivers, as it is easy to see when you’re being taken the wrong way or round in circles, it also helps to show you where to get off the metro or bus at and even gives reviews and information or locations you may pass or may wish to visit. I can not recommend it more, and to make it even better it’s FREE!!! If you haven’t already downloaded it, do it now!
- Like most Aussies, I am fluent in only two languages, English, and bullshit, and unfortunately, not everyone can speak these. Quick answer, Google Translate. Again this app can be used offline, making it great for travelers that often don’t have data. Download your selected language when WiFi is available and off you go. One of the best aspects of this app it the camera mode. Hover your phone over any foreign text, whether it be a menu, street sign, information plank at the museum, or brochure, and the text will change on the screen to in English (or any other desired language). Amazing right!
- Tracking your spending can gets confusing partially if your changing currencies often. You start forgetting whether you spent 10 pounds, dollar, euros or bitcoins on something. XE is free app that allows you access to a number of different currency’s offline, making it easy to keep on top of your spending and remain within budget
- I’m sure I don’t have to tell you to down load this one , but non the less, keeping in contact with your loved ones is important, and if I couldn’t give home a call every now and then, I know I wouldn’t be able to travel for as long and far as I do.So call your Mum!
- An obvious one, but most the times the obvious answer is the right one. TripAdvisor is making a huge change the travelers lifestyle when eating out, looking for Accommodation and Attractions forever giving you a brutally honest review from real people. Remember that hotel room you booked that had these beautiful pictures of the room and when you arrived there you were greeted by something that only belonged in a horror movie well not you can save people from having that same experience by sharing your story and even adding pictures. Not to mention, there is no better way to get your revenge than from cowering away behind your keyboard and making a negative anonymous review for that cafe that overcharged you for soy and only informed you after they had made it.